Monday 13 September 2010

End Of The Road 2010


The summer festival season is now officially over, with the End Of The Road festival signalling…well, the end of the musical festival road…if you like. It was my third time at EOTR and as usual a great time was had. This year was slightly different from previous ones, though. Instead of going because of a great line-up, I was there mainly to support Allo Darlin' and my friends in Eagleowl. The majority of the line-up was just not my cup of tea at all. Of course there was exceptions, and I did see some great performances, but if it hadn't been for the friends-in-bands connection, I don't think I would have been there.

Sooooo…..highlights of End Of The Road 2010

Allo Darlin' played two sets and were great as usual. It must be a bit weird playing to a bunch of people who might not necessarily be there to see you, but rather are just there "to see what's on", but AD didn't let that bother them. And even if it did, it certainly didn't show and they played two great sets...one on Thursday evening and one on Friday afternoon. If I had to pick a favourite it would have to be the Thursday one, since they were followed by Darren Hayman and they all joined him on stage towards the end. That's what festivals are all about – bands you love getting together with other bands you love doing something unusual together.

Backstage with Allo Darlin'

Allo Darlin'

Darren Hayman playing to an adoring crowd

Eagleowl on Saturday afternoon were brilliant....an they finished their set with a big sing-a-long stage invasion (the calmest kind imaginable).

Eagleowl!

Eagleowl!!

Eagleowl!!!

Eagleowl!!!!

Last time I saw The Mountain Goats, I wasn't overly impressed. It was at an inside stage at EOTR 2008 and I just wasn't in the mood. This time it was different. Outside at the beautiful garden stage and it was just perfect.

Yo La Tengo played a stunning set and finished with a surprise version of Times New Viking's Move To California. Again, just perfect.


Apologies for the terrible video quality...eek.

Brakes were brilliant as usual...but it would have been even better if they had played on th eoutside stage. That big horrible tent thing just doesn't do anything for me.

Hot cider!

And....the food...yes, I do have a soft spot for festival food and seem to eat an awful lot of it...not necessarily this unusual dish...


...but Pieminister, cheesy-beany wedges and other goodies...

Members of Meursault, Eagleowl and Woodpigeon playing a cover of Withered Hand's I Am Nothing....complete with random old lady and baby stage invasion!


Moustache of Insanity even managed to squeeze in a short set at the Hunga Munga tent!


So there...that's all. I've had enough of camping for this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment