Friday 26 February 2010

Fuzzystar

I've been meaning to go and see Fuzzystar for a long time, but something had always come in the way. Yesterday evening, despite there being a gazillion other things on, I finally had the chance. I wasn't quite sure what to expect. The only recordings I had heard were made many moons ago and I guess I was expecting some sort of scuzzy folkrock in the vein of Arizona Record era Silver Jews. And to be honest, I wasn't really in the mood for that. It was pissing down and I was completely soaked when I got to the Betsey so it wasn't a great start to the evening...

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I was rather amazed. There's nothing worse than when a friend's band is really bad and you have to pretend to like them, so I was extremely relieved when Fuzzystar turned out to be really really good. I seem to call everything with harmonies "Beach Boys inluenced", which really shows how far my musical knowledge/vacabulary stretches, but I'll continue that trend here by saying that they sound like the result of an illegitimate affair between a Scottish Brian Wilson and Elliott Smith. Or something like that. They're really good anyway and well worth checking out. They should have an EP out soon and are playing in London a lot.....so there.

Fuzzystar myspace

No comments:

Post a Comment