Monday 28 February 2011

Choo Choo Trains, The Madrigals and Humousexual live (Notting Hill, 25th February 2011)

I didn't touch a drop of alcohol yesterday, but my whole body still hurts from my efforts of previous nights. I've seen so much music in the past few days...and with a couple of exceptions it has all been really good stuff.

On Friday I headed to a flat in Notting Hill for a bedroom show organised by Dyke Bar. I do love those kind of things and they seem to be quite a rare occurrence in London. First band playing in the small room was The Choo Choo Trains, an all-girl three-piece playing charming, dreamy lo-fi surf-pop. They were really good and I definitely would like to hear more from these girls.


Next on was The Madrigals, another lovely band that was news to me. They picked up where the The Choo Choo Trains left off, adding a twist of banjo, keyboards and glockenspiel.



Finally, Humousexual




They were just really, really great and this was definitely the perfect place to see them.


A lovely evening in every possible way. Well, I did manage to fall asleep on the night bus on my way home, which was a bit unfortunate. I woke up somewhere outside Edmonton, which is not a particularly nice place, especially at 3 in the morning. Some old guy on the bus told me I looked like "that guy from Simple Minds". He was a bit bummed when I didn't know who he was talking about, so he left me alone and went to start a fight with someone near the front of the bus. North London night buses. There's nothing quite like'em.

No comments:

Post a Comment