Thursday 25 June 2009

Some special sounds indeed

I'm still a bit bummed that I missed Shonen Knife at the Windmill last night. I've wanted to see them for ages and I had actually bought tickets (two even), but instead I heard Greenwich calling me...and I just couldn't resist. Monster Bobby was hosting his first Special Sounds night at Oliver's Music Bar and with Elizabeth being part of the night's line-up I felt obliged to attend.

Oliver's is a cosy little bar, tucked away underneath a restaurant on Nevada Street. Judging from the posters on the wall, they normally host jazz acts, so I don't know what they made of the evening's truly eclectic mix of cabaret-electronica-uke-pop. I assume they were happy, cause the night attracted a fair amount of people.

Monster Bobby himself started off the evening with his electro-crooner-pop. It's always a pleasure to see Bobby and last night was no different.

Xylitol was up next, with his light-hearted industrial electronica, playing a mixture of his own creations and covers by people I have never heard of. A bit strange, sure, but still hugely enjoyable.

It's been a while since Elizabeth played a solo show, but with the size/layout of the venue and the sit-down nature of the evening it just made sense. A brilliant set, with a new song (even to me!) thrown in.

The last act of the evening - Stuart Flynn's Dear Britch. Electro-cabaret I suppose would be a reasonable description. At first it reminded me a bit of Bobby Conn's weirder moments....kind of...but not really....great anyway.

When you live in North London, late nights in Greenwich are a real pain-in-the-ass and it's always depressing walking to the DLR knowing that you have an hour and a half of trains/tubes/walking until you get home. So, I'm absolutely knackered (again) today, but it was all worth it. Unfortunately I won't be around for the next night, which takes place on the last Wednesday of July, but I'm sure it'll be equally interesting. London needs more nights like this.


Find out about the next Special Sounds night and other similarly interesting events on the Little Other blog

No comments:

Post a Comment