Thursday 19 February 2009

February mix

I feel like sharing. Here's a bunch of songs that for one reason or another all have been played a lot this year. Some of the artists are mega famous, some are virtually unknown. Some I only discovered this year, some have been personal favorites for years. The only thing they really have in common is that they've all left a deep mark on me. 

I don't Weezer needs an introduction. This song is a B-side and was first brought to my attention in the Kevin Smith film Mallrats. 

I wrote about Trouble Books in one of the very first posts on this blog. I can listen to this song on repeat. I can't really explain why, but it just gets to me. It's only a minute long. Unfortunately the file is twice that size, but my computer skills are not great enough to sort that out manually.

The Replacements have been close to my heart for about seven or eight years and picking one song to share with the world was always gonna be a nightmare. This, like most of Paul Westerberg's songs, is just great.

I do love The Moldy Peaches. Silly, rude, simple, but oh so much fun. The live version of Rainbows is probably better than this "properly recorded" one, but just the idea of recording this song in a studio makes me smile. Perhaps the funniest first verse ever.

First time I saw Viking Moses was at the End Of The Road Festival in 2007 and he just blew me away. His voice is extremely powerful and just...well...insane. This song is relatively straight forward, but astonishing nonetheless. Genius. Check out the video on youtube.

Me and Bill Moustache once bumped into the boys in Let's Wrestle outside the Macbeth in Shoreditch. They almost begged us to go in to watch them and even put us on the cheap list. We went in and were pretty disappointed. A year later they are huge (well, you know...in my world) and I decide to give their album a go. Wow! It's fast, funny, sweet, angry and just brilliant. The most exciting young rock band around? Probably.

The Robot Ate Me is one of my favorite bands and I brought singer Ryland Bouchard to London in January to do a show at The Wilmington Arms. Not many people showed up to what was an absolutely breathtaking performance. 

As I said in my previous post, Roky Erickson has been on my mind a lot recently. This song is a personal favorite.


As usual, please support these artists in any way you can, by going to gigs or buying their stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment