Thursday 19 February 2009

Rokyn Roll doc



I've been listening a lot to Roky Erickson this week. My Swedish friends have been going on about him for years, but it wasn't until now that I finally took the time to listen to his stuff. Wow! Really. What a voice! And the lyrics. Maybe his music isn't exactly what I would normally listen to, but this week it really struck a chord with me.

The film itself, You're Gonna Miss Me, is a moving and extremely personal account of the man's life. Unfortunately, the issues behind Roky's mental illness are too complex and there's not really any time to go into any details, meaning the film leaves you with a lot of unanswered questions. I want to know the background to the deterioration of his family. When did the father leave? How much has he been part of Roky's life. Why did his brothers wait eleven years to take action? Those are just a few. Anyway, it's still an interesting film and is guaranteed to get people seeking out his music.

Official Movie Website

No comments:

Post a Comment